Cyklop is a high-contrast sans-serif font. Because this font is so bold and has such high contrast, it would work well in treatments where you would like to call attention to some particular piece of information. For example, if you were designing a poster to hang up on a bulletin board and wanted to catch the attention of passers by – try using Cyklop with a catchy phrase in a large point size on the page.
Thanks goes to Janusz Marian Nowacki for creating the font from the historical typeface design – the typeface was designed in the 1920s – “at the workshop of Warsaw type foundry “Odlewnia Czcionek J. Idzkowski i S-ka” according to the upstream homepage. I do get a 1920’s vibe from it, but it also kind of reminds me of a retro view of the future (thus the ‘outer space!’ type sample I came up with. ) Hopefully this isn’t too terrible an abuse of the typeface.
Many of you have asked for some notes on the font coverage in these posts. Cyklop has some coverage beyond basic Latin – the Latin Supplementary coverage is quite good and the the Latin Extended A coverage is not too bad either.
- Fedora Font Wishlist Entry: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GUST_Cyklop_fonts
- Upstream Homepage: http://nowacki.strefa.pl/cyklop-e.html
So, you want to package Cyklop?
Wonderful! You’re amazing! You’ll want to follow the first steps here next to the ‘if you intend to do some packaging’ header:
Our fonts packaging policy, which the above refers to, is documented here:
And if you have any questions throughout the process, don’t hesitate to ask on the Fedora Fonts SIG mailing list:
Previously-Featured Fonts Updates
I wanted to update you on the status of some of the fonts previously featured here:
- Robin Sonefors has built Anonymous Pro for Fedora 11, 12, and Rawhide. (It’s not in the repos though. I’m not sure why.)
- Edward (aka tk009) has built Tiza and it’s now available in the Fedora 12 repos.
- Edward (aka tk009) also built Bola and it’s available in the Fedora 12 repos too – awesome work Edward!
Fonts Still in Need of Your Love
These fonts were previously highlighted but still need your love so they can be packaged!